Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Manatee Trip


Finally home after weeks of packing and unpacking, rolling and rambling.
And eating.
And swimming.
One excursion was a snorkeling trip on the west coast of Florida. We spent a long weekend in Crystal River squeezing ourselves into wetsuits and braving the chilly waters. The water wasn't TOO bad, but I was definitely grateful for the rubber skin. The wetsuit also played a great part in my survival; I'm blessed with the buoyancy of a rock and the aquatic instincts of a camel with an ear infection.

Have you heard how being in the water adds an element of grace to one's movements? Yeah? I've heard that one, too.

Doesn't seem to apply to me.

But I did enjoy flipping my flippers, flapping my arms, and flailing my way through the semi-murky depths in search of the wily sea cow. Not that they're so hard to locate around Crystal River. In fact, I bumped into several quite by accident. They can grow to be the size of a barn door and weigh nearly as much as I do after an evening at Seminole Wind country buffet. Maybe more.

But my wrinkly fingers are smooth now, and my wet socks are dry. It's time to get back to work and back into a routine.

At least for a little while.

No comments: